Duration: July-August (25-30 hours per week)
Application deadline: 25/06/2021
What Kept Me Up is a four-year old Ibadan-based movie and TV blog. We serve readers with news, reviews, trivia, and fun bits in the film world. It is managed by a managing editor with the help of two contributing writers. We hope to push people to watch movies and TV shows not necessarily based on ‘good or bad’, rather based on their watch history, life interests and favourite genres. Most importantly, getting people engaged in conversations on what kept them up. The discussion with readers matters a lot. We want to get people talking non-stop.
We are searching for two young motivated teens, willing to learn and have passion for film, writing, curating, and social media. You will be responsible for tasks like designing, news writing,and managing social media accounts. In this unpaid role, you will also learn and gain experience in the media publication field. As an intern, we expect you to be up-to-date with the latest digital trends,movies and TV shows out there. You should be an open communicator and able to carry out tasks to the best of your abilities, while learning at the same time. Ultimately, you should be able to express our company’s views creatively. The programme takes place from July-August with 25-30 working hours per week.
- Age 16-18.
- Currently enrolled in a secondary school or recently completed.
- Good writing skills.
- Willingness to learn.
- Broad knowledge in movies, TV shows, and general pop culture.
- Aware of trends in the film industry (Nollywood, Hollywood, European cinema and non-English cinema).
- Good communication skills in English.
- Must own an internet-connected device, preferably a tablet or a laptop. A very good smartphone also works.
- Use of Google products (Drive, Documents, Spreadsheet, etc), Instagram, Twitter, and Canva.
- Open to communication on Telegram.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video)
- Flexibility, strategic thinking, relationship building, team spirit and humour.
- Analytical and multitasking skills.
- Preferably Ibadan-based. But all applications are welcome.
- Content Curation: Generating, editing, publishing and sharing engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news).
- Basic writing tasks such as news writing and caption creation.
- Research work.
- Handling social media accounts.
- Staying up-to-date with current technologies and trends in social media, and most importantly, happenings in the film world.
- Editing and proofreading short texts.
- Graphics designing.
- Attending a bi-weekly seminar (workshop).
- This is an unpaid role but acquisition of first practical knowledge in media publication.
- Interesting and challenging tasks in social media and publication.
- The opportunity to quickly take on responsibility and try out your strengths with different tasks.
- The chance to gain valuable practical experience.
- Flexibility with your own summer plans.
- Working from home.
- A nice and respectful working environment with devoted cinephiles.
- A free Netflix account.
- Cinema tickets.
How to apply
Apply with a single PDF document containing the following:
- a Curriculum Vitae.
- a cover letter (letter of motivation): Let us know your experience, knowledge, hobbies, desires and area of interests (250-500 words).
- An essay (500-750 words). Topic: Why I love Movies OR My Favourite Movie .
- Your last school English result. (2020/2021 school year or secondary school leaving certificate result).
This single document should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tip: We care less about your qualifications and certificates. But we care more about what motivates you, your love for film and what you do during your free time. This is an unpaid role.
Application deadline: 25th of June, 2021.