(Part-time / Freelance)
What Kept Me Up is officially a two-year-old Nigerian-based digital film publication. We serve readers with news, reviews, trivia, and fun bits, keeping them updated about the film world on our blog and social media. It is managed by a managing editor with the support of contributing writers and other members of the team. Most importantly, getting people engaged in conversations on what kept them up. The discussion with readers matters a lot. We want to get people talking non-stop.
We are looking for a talented social media manager to administer our social media accounts (Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and prospectively YouTube). You will be responsible for creating original text and visual content, managing posts and responding to followers. You will manage our company image in a cohesive way to achieve our goals.
As a social media manager for a movie blog, we expect you to be up-to-date with the latest digital technologies, social media trends and movies (including TV series) out there, most especially in the Nigerian film space. You should have excellent communication skills and be able to express our company’s views creatively.
Ultimately, you should be able to handle our social media presence ensuring high levels of web traffic and audience engagement.
- Excellent copywriting skills. Experience is an added advantage.
- You have vast knowledge in movies, TV shows, and general pop culture, most especially Nollywood.
- Highly knowledgeable about developments in the film industry (Nollywood and Hollywood. European cinema and non-English cinema are a plus)
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Expert use of Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, Google Products, Canva and any video editing software.
- Own a Facebook account which does not have to be active.
- Available to attend and document film events such as screenings, premieres, etc.
- Excellent social media event planning skills, live interviewing and events anchoring skills.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Open to communication on Telegram.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video).
- Creativity, flexibility, strategic thinking, relationship building, team spirit and humour.
- Analytical and multitasking skills.
- Preferably Lagos-based.
- Performing research on current trends and audience preferences.
- Designing and implementing social media strategy to align with the blog’s goals.
- Setting specific objectives and reporting on ROI.
- Content curation: Generating, editing, publishing and sharing engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news).
- Monitoring the analytical reports.
- Collaborating with the writing team to ensure brand consistency.
- Communicating with followers and other accounts, responding to queries in a timely manner and monitoring audience feedback.
- Attending film events.
- Anchoring social media events (Instagram Live, Twitter spaces, YouTube content)
- Contributing to social media accounts’ design (e.g. Twitter timeline cover, Instagram profile pictures and layout).
- Suggesting and implementing new features to develop brand awareness, like promotions and competitions.
- Staying up-to-date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools and applications, most importantly, happenings in the film world.
- Paid role.
- Weekly cinema ticket subsidy.
- Subscription to streaming services: Netflix, Prime Video, Showmax and Mubi.
- Working from home.
- Biannual stress break.
How to Apply
A single PDF document containing the following:
- a Curriculum Vitae
- a cover letter
- portfolio, if any
This single document should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line of the job title.
Tip: We care less about your qualifications and certificates, and more about your skils, what drives/motivates you, your love for film and Nollywood, and what you do during your free time. In your cover letter, you could rave about an exciting development in the Nigerian film space since the previous year.